Monday, November 17, 2008

Feelings




Just thought that i would put some books out there to consider when dealing with the 546 emotions that children experience from birth to well, teenagers and adults. Obviously i took the pictures from Amazon. :) Visual props always work better for me.


I think Mackenzie likes this one, "The Way I Feel" best. It's simple yet has a variety of emotions. I'm all about the illustrations too.



Kienan has really gravitated towards "Feelings" and it's my favorite right now. There are a few flaws in the book, but i just choose to see past them and absorb the good stuff. Kienan gets that "pondering stare" when we read it (he has had that look since birth). I can tell he is absorbing. I think that this one is actually making a difference!








I used "My Many Colored Days" as a poetry activity when i taught 7th grade. It's a bit easier for a kid to say I'm having a red day or a mixed up color day than I feel frusterated or unemotionally stable. Today I started with a yellow day cuz i felt busy all day. (I cleaned out and wiped down the pantry and reorganized it, cleaned out the medicine cupboard and cleaned and wiped down the inside of the fridge. Huh? Ya, don't know what got into me. Now i feel kinda purple, mellow. Gunna go take a very hot bath while sipping a glass of zin.)
Another way we address feelings is through drawing. I walked outside the other day and saw a whole bunch of sad faces in sidewalk chalk. I realized it was kienan emotionally throwing-up all over the concrete. Makes me sad to see his sad faces, but at least i know what he's feeling which presents an opportunity to TALK!
Whatever you choose just make sure that the door of communication is always open even if it's not what you want to hear cuz it's not always about you.

No comments: